6th Annual Black Girl Magic Ball
6th Annual Black Girl Magic Ball is happening on Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 06:30PM EDT at Museum of the City of New York with tickets starting at $130.46
Join us for our annual intergenerational celebration of Black Girls & Women through music poetry, and a show like no other! This event is in support of Urban Word programming for youth.
Performances by Be Steadwell, and Music by DJ Adair.
Curated by Mahogany L. Browne (Author, Writer, Urban Word Artistic Director, and Lincoln Center Poet-In-Residence)
HONORING THESE PURVEYORS OF BLACK GIRL MAGIC:
- Dr. Ilyasah Shabazz (Author, activist, speaker, daughter of Malcolm X & Betty Shabazz)
- Lindsay Peoples Wagner (Editor-in-Chief of New York magazine’s The Cut, former editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, and the youngest editor-in-chief of any Condé Nast magazine. )
- Sonya Renee Taylor (New York Times best-selling author, poet, spoken word artist, humanitarian and social justice activist, and founder ofThe Body is Not An Apologymovement.)
- Tommi A. Vincent (Chef, life-coach, NFL wife, COO of Tommi Country, host of the Stay A While Show)
- Elisa Del Valle(Director of Social Justice & Inclusion at The Ethel Walker All-Girls School)
Attire: Yes, attire! It’s a ball! Here is a reason to get all glammed up. Cocktail wear, prom-wear, however you define regal or magic. For inspiration, check out the Black Girl Magic Ball OfficialInstagram!
FUN FACT: You don’t have to be a Black Girl to attend! All allies are welcome!
ABOUT URBAN WORD
Urban Word champions youth voice providing platforms for literacy, youth development and leadership through free and uncensored writing, civic, and performance-based workshops & opportunities. Through the transformative power of the written and spoken word, Urban Word provides young, creative voices, often those who are marginalized, the tools, training, and platforms to rewrite the narratives that shape their lives and their communities.
Urban Word is the founder of the National Youth Poet Laureate Program which celebrates youth for their excellence in poetry & their impact on their community. Urban Word has bestowed the National Youth Poet Laureate title to six youth since Amanda Gorman received the inaugural title in 2017.